Wednesday, November 18, 2009
1. Reuters used them: The world's most famous news agency was founded in 1850 and employed 45 feathered messengers.
2. They read maps: Their homing skills are still a mystery, but a 10-year Oxfor university study concluded they use roads to navigate, even turning corners at junctions.
3. They were the original email: in the early 1800s, the Rothschilds set up a network of pigeon lofts at all their European financial houses.
4. The Queen loves them: Not only does Her Majesty fancy them, but Mike Tyson is a fan. Plus, Maurizio Gucci once spent $10,000 on an American pigeon.
5. They're clever: Pigeons are one of the only nine amimals (and the only non-mammal) that can recognise itself in a mirror.
6. They bob their heads for a reason: Their side-mounted eyes give them monocular vision, unlike the binocular vision of humans and owls, so they bob for depth perception.
7. They're holy: Many religious groups, including Hindus, Muslims, and Sikhs, feed pigeons for religious reasons. Remember that the next time you shoo one.
8. They're heroes: Several pigeons have been decorated in wartime, saving thousands of lives by delivering urgent messages under fire.
9. Their waste is invaluable: in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries pigeon excrement was a valuable fertiliser protected by armed guards.
10. They're precious: The world's most expensive pigeon was bought by a British stud farm for £106,000.
(Info sourse: Short List Magazine: www.shortlist.com)
We have all, at some point or the other, been enthralled by the sight of a flock of pigeons taking to the air, wings spread against the sun....
Wedding photography is something I take pride doing and it intrigues me. I don’t remember how many weddings I have photographed so far but t...
A little girl help her mother to make garland of Marigold near Kasthamandap, Kathmandu on Laxmi Puja. Marigold is an auspicious flower for...
This is the Niederfinow boat lift, one of the oldest boat lift in Germany. After a brief information from our respected trainer Mr. Peter ...
'Kal Ho Naa Ho' is the title of a blockbuster Hindi Movie and a good one. It gives simple and true reason to live life to the fulle...
Seven day long workshop on photojournalism in Brigunj was a great success and turn out to be very productive for local photojournalists and...