Wednesday, November 18, 2009
1. Reuters used them: The world's most famous news agency was founded in 1850 and employed 45 feathered messengers.
2. They read maps: Their homing skills are still a mystery, but a 10-year Oxfor university study concluded they use roads to navigate, even turning corners at junctions.
3. They were the original email: in the early 1800s, the Rothschilds set up a network of pigeon lofts at all their European financial houses.
4. The Queen loves them: Not only does Her Majesty fancy them, but Mike Tyson is a fan. Plus, Maurizio Gucci once spent $10,000 on an American pigeon.
5. They're clever: Pigeons are one of the only nine amimals (and the only non-mammal) that can recognise itself in a mirror.
6. They bob their heads for a reason: Their side-mounted eyes give them monocular vision, unlike the binocular vision of humans and owls, so they bob for depth perception.
7. They're holy: Many religious groups, including Hindus, Muslims, and Sikhs, feed pigeons for religious reasons. Remember that the next time you shoo one.
8. They're heroes: Several pigeons have been decorated in wartime, saving thousands of lives by delivering urgent messages under fire.
9. Their waste is invaluable: in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries pigeon excrement was a valuable fertiliser protected by armed guards.
10. They're precious: The world's most expensive pigeon was bought by a British stud farm for £106,000.
(Info sourse: Short List Magazine: www.shortlist.com)
Wedding photography is something I take pride doing and it intrigues me. I don’t remember how many weddings I have photographed so far but t...
It was only tourists who take pictures then, now even Nepalese people do take my pictures. Tourists from all around the world do come to see...
Mim Das Balami from Tistung Palung, Makawanpur, lives in a rented room at Tangal chok, along with his wife Samjhana Balami and 5 years old...
I am Ashakaji Jyapu from Nagadesh, Thimi Bhaktapur and selling flower plants, various sort of seeds and vegetables saplings is my fami...
My name is Rajkumar Pata Magar and I'm from Sinduli, Pokhari Panchayat 7 ward. I think our life is both smiles and cries. I smile even I...
I've no idea why people lit these ghee lamps but I enjoy helping them to lit and offer it to Ajima in this Annapurna temple at Ason. M...